Sunday, January 15, 2012

Onward to 2012!

          My first attempt at "no shopping" was, well.....an interesting challenge for me.  Somewhat successful, then fall off the wagon, back-on (sort of) and then, a revised mission.

           For those non-believers, I did start off well.  Think of it as a "New Year's Resolution".  Much like my diet and weight loss plan, I start off pretty good.  Fully focused.  Then, challenges get in the way.  For the no-shopping experience, it was my trip abroad with my sisters and Sarah.  I (of course) needed a few items to make my trip a fun experience.  A few items here and there.  Off we go.  And of course, we have to pick up a few items to bring back.  Souvenirs of the trip and all.  So, wagon.....off.

          Then I come home.  Deep in the midst of a challenging "celebrity weight loss experience" at the Omni Gym, where Mike and I did well.  Lost weight.  New clothes sizes.  Shopping for smaller clothes.  "Wagon....off again."

           Then, comes the big kicker.  Christmas.  Always hard for me to avoid.  Shopping and searching for the perfect gifts for my friends, family and loved ones.  So, "Wagon.....off again."  Albeit not as bad as I've been in the past, but still hitting the wagon word.  On both challenges......spending and weight loss.

          So, hats off to 2012.  Another new year where the resolutions seem to be a lot like last years!  (Does that seem the case for just me?  Or do all of us make the same new year's resolutions every year???)  Anyway, I'm still searching for the "kinder, gentler world" that I was hoping for last year.  That hasn't seemed to come to pass in the world or politics or anything else for that matter.  So, I'm renewing (again) my new years resolutions.

          Again, I feel that I am blessed with what I have.  I have a wonderful family, great job which I love, a safe, cozy home filled with love - from my husband and daughter and my worshiping pets, my health, so much stuff.  More stuff than I need.  I keep reminding myself of that.  And when I look around - I do.  I see all the things I have.  And think, I don't need any more stuff!  I have more than one person should have or need.  So, instead of looking at what I don't have - I'm looking at what I do. 

          A friend of mine linked me to a great "sample sale" the other day for clothes.  I immediately responded...."I'll be there - can I come early and checkout the things before everyone else get's a chance at it?"  Then, I looked around - at my closet and what I have.  I emailed her back and said, "I don't need anything right now - I'll have to pass!".  Doesn't sound like much to you, but to me, it's acknowledgement.  And, isn't that half the battle sometime?

          Another thing I realize, I like and enjoy working out.  And for me, weight loss must entail both working out and eating right.  Sure, I may work out hard, but then I may stuff my mouth with the wrong things.  I know for true weight loss to happen I need balance in that.  So, I need to focus my time and energy on creating the right kinds of food for me (and Mike) to lose weight or maintain weight loss.  That's what I'll spend my energy and time on - planning, organizing and keeping that on track.  Because I enjoy the working out aspect, but have to get everything else in check as well. 

          Happy New (or old, revisited, redone, repeat, whatever) Year.  It's challenge time again.  And hopefully stick to it time as well.

          I hope that you reach your goals and challenge yourself.  I'm trying.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment